html





Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Space

We are studying the solar system in my 5th grade class and as we come back from lunch each day and have silent reading time I have been reading some of our solar system books. Well I am just awe struck. I think everyone should be required to take some kind of astronomy class. This stuff is spectacular, especially if you are religious. So after talking with my kids about galaxies and stars things just started to click with me. We saw this email with pictures compaing the planets, the sun, and other stars. You know so you see how 1 million Earths can fit in the sun, 1 million, thats nuts! Then we saw this picture of another HUGE star that could hold 1 million SUNS! Ok then we get into how there are an uncountable number of stars... ok crazy. Then this next book goes into how their are BILLIONS of galaxies... BILLIONS and that since there are billions of them there can be billions more planets that are positioned just so that they could have life, just like Earth. It is stupid to think that Earth is the only planet with life, just stupid. How can you look at a vast universe FULL of stars, "suns" planets, comets, asteroids, etc and think that we are the only life... how nieve ( hmm don't know how to spell that one) Anyway so then when you connect that to church and think about worlds without number, wow it just all fits. You know what is really trippy is when you start to think about what they and by they I mean the other humans are like. What are they doing? How far advanced are they? What technology do they have? Do they know we are out here and just don't know how to get here yet? Are there planets who have figured out how to get to other planets and visit? Are they a just starting planet like the stone age or are they far beyond our years in technology.. ahhh crazy!! So crazy to think about other people on another... planet! So nuts to think about an uncountable number of people and then relate that to God. When did Christ visit all these other planets? it's silly to think he would have only come here. Then we have the BOM but that is from prophets here, do other planets have BOM about their prophets, do they talk about Earth and what Christ was like on this planet Earth? How do those people feel, learning about a gospel and a man who lived on... another planet? Or do they have books by their prophets, ahhh so much! Ok it also struck my mind when we read about the world coming to an end with great balls of fire... ok so asteroids are going to begin to pelt the Earth. Ok then we know the Earth will be cleansed by fire... well get this when a star dies it explodes and then sun with expand "burning" consuming everything in its path. That could be when the Earth is consumed by fire, but then will we have a new sun? Then to think that the Earth is reffered to as a terestial body in book and space as celestial you start to make connections about the kingdoms. Ok my mind was going like a million times an hour in class and I just love learning about space and I want to keep learning its facinating!
PS sarah wolf is going to be here TOMORROW!

2 comments:

  1. Jessica!!!
    I'm totally with you! Space is AMAZING!!! Not even joking, I wanted to be an astronaut for a while until I realized that'd be kind of impractical for someone who mostly wants to be a mom. HAHA. One of my favorite things to do is look up at the stars at night. And I LOVED doing my student teaching in 5th/6th grade because so much of what they were learning was about space. It never ceases to fascinate me. I'm hoping to go to the California Science Center one of these weekends in the near future with Josh and while there go see "Hubble IMAX 3D"... if you and Jeremy want to join us let me know! :)

    And yes, my brother is serving in the Ecuador Quito mission! He's been out for six months so far and is really loving it! He was in Tena for the first few months, but now he's in the actual city of Quito and liking that a little better. I just looked on a map and it looks like Cuenca is farther south. That sounds amazing though! You're going to have to tell me more about your experience there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I'm glad we're blog buddies now! I love blogs because they give me nice reading material when work gets boring. ;)

    ReplyDelete