I love going into Walmart and Target and seeing the huge bins of school supplies, and their unique smell. It is the teacher in me and the student and the child that just loves a new box of crayons. I think the only thing better than seeing all those perfectly sharp tips and coloring for the first time... is opening a new jar of peanut butter and sticking your finger on that perfectly smooth surface or taking a knife and getting the first chunk out.
Well when you are a school teacher and you find that you have 33 5th graders, the supplies are not enough to keep you happy, especially when you realize how much you have to buy. When I first saw my list of 33 I wanted to quit. 33 10 year olds in a room the size of your living room... ALL day. I started to really think about that, I mean it is so odd that we shove all these kids in a tiny room with one teacher and expect them to learn, become educated, and be the future of America. I don't know about you but I do not think we place enough importance on eduction. 33 to 1 ratio? Come on! How about 20 to 1? Better yet 10 to 1? And realistically if you want to meet the needs of all children and make sure they learn 5 to 1. And why are we in such a small room? SHouldn't kids be out exploring, doing hands on learning, and experiencing. Ah.
So I finished my first day. I did not realize how hard it was going to be to go back to school after a 2 month break and then get there and realize my old familiar children and gone and I am stuck in a room with 33 strangers all staring at me blank face. It is so much responsibility and work. Yup. Yesterday I asked myself why in the heck I choose this career and today I was reminded why.
Jeremy spent the weekend in Colorado for his cousin Justin's wedding reception. It was the longest Jeremy and I have ever been apart and it makes us realize just how in love we are and how much we want to get married. He had a fun, well he may beg to differ, time with family. He was able to see his cousins and aunts and uncles and spend time with his immediate family. I am just glad to have him home.
Thursday, August 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment